This product is discontinued.
You can still have all of your favorite Standalone VGA Grid features and capabilities with Epiphan’s powerful next-generation live production switcher—Pearl-2!
Reliable, simple live streaming with Pearl-2’s integrated live video production workflow. Manage your streaming, recording and live switching in one place with this all-in-one video encoder and video production system.
Standalone VGA Grid
Capture, record and stream video (with audio) from up to 12 HD sources
Professional quality 4U enclosure
Live video streaming
8 to 12 HD sources
Flexible storage for your recordings
• 6 TB removable drive
Configurable up to 24 TB or 12 TB RAID
• Supports external USB drives
• Network storage via FTP, RYSNC or CIFS
• Content Management System (CMS)
Standalone VGA Grid
The standalone VGA Grid™ is a powerful live video mixing system designed to synchronize, capture, record and stream audio and video from directly connected video and audio sources. Captures from high definition sources (resolutions up to 2048×2048) and is available in 4-card (8 HD + 4 SD sources) and 6-card (12 HD + 6 SD sources) variations depending on the number of inputs you need to capture.
Features at a glance
The standalone VGA Grid systems comes in variations with either four or six Capture DL Cards. Each Capture DL Card has three video ports: one SDI, one DVI-I dual link (HD video) and one S-Video (SD video). Each of these ports may be used simultaneously making a 4-card VGA Grid capable of capturing video from 12 ports simultaneously (8 HD and 4 SD). The six-card VGA Grid is capable of capturing, encoding, recording and streaming 8 1080p HD video streams simultaneously at 30 fps.
- Capture at 2K resolutions (2048×2048 or 2560×1600 wide screen)
- 4-card or 6-card versions depending on number of sources you have
- Each card has 1 HD (VGA/DVI/HDMI) port and 1 SDI (3G, HD and SD) port and one SD (S-Video) port, capture from all at once
- Capture from RTSP sources over a network, such as IP cameras
- Stream 8 or 12 channels of HD video
- Synchronize and time-stamp streams
- Control and operate locally or remotely from anywhere on the same network
- Support for simultaneous streaming clients or publishing to CDNs
- Create custom multi-source layouts with branding
- Switch layouts while live streaming/recording
- Upload custom EDIDs
The standalone VGA Grid™ is a powerful live video mixing system designed to synchronize, capture, record and stream audio and video from directly connected video and audio sources. Captures from high definition sources (resolutions up to 2048×2048) and is available in 4-card and 6-card variations depending on the number of inputs to capture.
Live video mixing
Sources can be displayed in custom multi-source layouts and switched while live streaming/recording to create dynamic and engaging live streams that will captivate your audience.
- Use the custom layout designer to create unique personalized layouts using multiple video sources, pictures, logos, text overlays and backgrounds.
- Switch video sources and custom layouts seamlessly while live streaming/recording.
- Choose to display the video from one or multiple video sources; you can choose the size and placement of each source.
- VGA Grid automatically scales inputs to match your configured layout settings.
- Add a customized background with your company logo, the date, time, and any other information you want to add to the screen.
- Overlay video with timestamp information and other text.
- Upload a custom image to display in a channel when the source does not have a signal or if your input signal is interrupted for any reason.
- You can choose to simultaneously stream your video content to diverse viewers with customized layouts and delivery methods to suit each viewer.
- Each stream can have multiple encoding settings to suit various delivery methods and viewing destinations.
- Configuration presets let you save any quantity and combination of configuration groups into a reusable preset
- Create a configuration preset for each situation in which you use your VGA Grid
- Save time and ensure accuracy when configuring VGA Grid in each new location
- A special factory default configuration preset helps you return to original factory configuration without permanently erasing files saved to the system hard drive
Monitoring and switching made easy
Epiphan Live provides a simplified user experience for monitoring and live-switching your event. Use it to control your streaming and recording from any mobile device or computer on your local network.
Video/audio outputs and network/control ports
- VGA Grid has an RJ-45 Ethernet port, three USB 2.0 ports, and one RS-232 port.
Video and audio inputs
- Five audio inputs are provided as either mic or line level (4 card system)
- Seven audio inputs are provided as either mic or line level (6 card system)
- Up to 6 DVI/VGA/HDMI input ports
- Up to 6 SDI input ports
- Up to 6 S-Video input ports
- Can also capture from RTSP sources over a network, such as IP cameras
- Supports a wide range of live streaming formats and protocols enabling it to stream video to media players, Content Delivery Networks and multicast networks using industry standard streaming formats including (HTTP, FLV, ASF, MJPEG) and via TCP/UDP using RTSP and HLS.
- Supports multicast streaming via UDP using RTP, MPEG-TS RTP, MPEG-TS and publishes to streaming servers (CDNs) via RTMP and RTSP.
- Multi-encoding functionality can eliminate the need for a transcoding service.
VGA Grid’s powerful processor lets you stream to a large local audience (located within the same network) without the use of a streaming server.
Stream using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and Session Announce Protocol (SAP)
- Media players, smart TVs, set-top-boxes, digital signs etc. can play live streams and saved recordings from the VGA Grid via UPnP or SAP.
- Streaming via UPnP and/or SAP is perfect for situations when the destination device is unattended. For example, when VGA Grid streams to a digital sign that continuously plays a video, if there is an interruption, the live stream resume feature automatically resumes the stream.
- VGA Grid’s powerful processor lets you stream to many set top boxes/smart TVs simultaneously without sacrificing video quality.
Video encoding with H.264, MPEG-4 and MJPEG
- VGA Grid supports the most widely used video codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software media players such as VLC and Adobe Media Player.
- Multi-encoding features such as video frame rate, encoding bit rate, and key frame internal are among several parameters to ensure your stream reaches your audience.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune the operation to your application.
- Whether you are recording highly dynamic full motion video or slowly changing instrumentation displays, VGA Grid enables you to direct the encoder to achieve optimal video quality while satisfying bitrate and file size constraints of your specific application and environment.
Supports audio codecs MP3, AAC and PCM
- VGA Grid supports the most widely used audio codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune to meet your requirements.
- Encode in stereo or mono with bitrates up to 320 kbps.
Record while streaming
- VGA Grid is capable of recording the streaming output.
- Store the video files to a hard drive, with 6 TB of storage (storage upgrades available), in AVI, MP4, MPEG-TS or MOV format (common and easy to use formats).
- Admin interface indicates the amount of free storage space.
- Manage the size of your recorded video files by configuring the VGA Grid to start a new file based on a time or file-size limit. When the limit is reached, the current recorded file is closed and available for download while a new file is opened for continued recording – all without missing a frame.
Easy access to external file storage
The VGA Grid offers a variety of options for storing your recorded files:
- Access files quickly at Gigabit Ethernet speeds.
- Store the files on the device itself, this is useful when you don’t have access to a network or an external device. You can always download the files later.
- Transfer the recorded files to an external USB storage device or local network storage via SFTP, SCP, FTP, RSYNC or CIFS to ensure you don’t run out of disk space on your device and facilitate 24/7 recording.
- Configure automatic file transfer when a USB device is inserted.
- Integrate easily with commercial content management systems.
We can be easily integrated with content management systems (CMS) and with learning management systems (LMS) such as Blackboard, Kaltura, Mediasite and Moodle.
Supported aspect ratios and resolutions
- The input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Supports 1080p HD video capture at 30 fps and resolutions up to 2048×2048.
- Capture computer displays and live camera signals.
- Convenient pick lists of standard resolutions in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios make configuration and switching between various video input sources quick and easy. Custom resolutions are also supported.
Automatically configures frame rate, bitrate, and aspect ratio
- The VGA Grid analyzes your source stream and automatically uses the best possible frame size, bitrate, and aspect ratio for the output stream.
- Changes to the input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Automatic configuration is an option that can be enabled or disabled depending on your requirements.
File redundancy and fault tolerance
- Networked VGA Grid can be optionally configured with storage in a RAID array.
- A networked VGA Grid supports RAID 10, when 4 disks are configured.
- It easily fits into any standard rackmount cabinet.
- AC power equipped that can easily be fed through the equipment rack
- A web-based control interface enables local and remote configuration and operation.
- Integration with other systems is available via our HTTP and RS-232 APIs.
- Monitor your VGA Grid on the go with a mobile device or tablet using a custom interface designed for touch screen devices.
- Preform basic operations like checking video signals, audio levels, starting and stopping recordings, and disk space from the mobile interface.
The EpiphanConnect mobile application is available for both Android and iOS devices. This alternative to the desktop based discovery utility makes connecting to the touch screen friendly interface even easier by finding all Epiphan devices on the network.