This product is discontinued.
Check out VGADVI Broadcaster, our portable capture, recording, and streaming appliance that supports HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, or composite video sources (with audio) in resolutions up to Full HD at 30 fps.
Epiphan Lecture Recorder x2™
The Lecture Recorder x2 captures, combines and records Full HD and SD video and audio from multiple sources such as document cameras, lecture cameras, tablets or any device with a VGA, DVI or HDMI™ output.
Lecture Recorder x2 has 1 HD input, 1 SD input, 16 GB storage and 1 channel recording.
Need more features?Try Pearl
• 6 HD video inputs
• 1 TB storage
• 4 channel recording
• Touch screen controls
• Multi-channel live streaming
Features at a glance
Lecture Recorder x2 is an integrated hardware platform for recording and/or streaming presentations, events, lectures, marketing and training videos.
Lecture Recorder x2 captures an HD video source such as a computer with slides, and a camera focused on the presenter and a microphone. Lecture Recorder x2 then streams the multimedia content to standard Internet browsers and media players; the streaming content can also be recorded to internal storage and network storage.
Lecture Recorder x2 is easy to setup and use, works straight out of the box and does not require the use of a computer or any additional equipment. Simply power it on, plug in your sources and press the on-device button to start recording. A straightforward web interface is available for custom configuration.
- Capture from screens or cameras at Full HD resolution
- Capture presentation camera, slides and voice simultaneously
- Use it everywhere – it’s portable with no software to be installed
- Supports VGA, DVI, HDMI, Display Port, S-Video, composite, & RGB component
- Managed and controlled either locally or over a network
The Lecture Recorder x2 captures, combines and records Full HD and SD video and audio from multiple sources such as document cameras, lecture cameras, tablets or any device with a VGA, DVI or HDMI output.
Multi-source layouts with branding
- Choose to display the video from one or both video sources, display the video side-by-side or picture-in-picture.
- Lecture Recorder automatically scales inputs to match your configured layout settings.
- Add your academic institution color as a background, your institution logo, and add meta data such as the date, time, and faculty name.
- Overlay video with timestamp information and other text.
- Upload a custom image to display when the channel does not have a signal or if your input signal is interrupted for any reason.
Video/audio outputs and network/control ports
- Lecture Recorder x2 has a DVI-I video output, a 3.5 mm stereo audio output, an RJ-45 PoE port, and a USB 2.0 port.
- Built-in signal converters and output connectors provide pass through for both DVI-I and audio input sources.
- The video and audio pass thru ports provide a practical way to simultaneously display the lecture to a large lecture hall while it is recorded by simply connecting a speaker to the audio output port and connecting an HDMI, DVI or VGA projector or monitor to the DVI output port.
Video and Audio Inputs
- Lecture Recorder x2 captures two video sources from room cameras, document cameras, smart boards, iPads, or any other source with HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, and composite output.
- Audio input is provided through a 3.5 mm analog stereo audio input.
- The DVI-I port is built to capture signals from DVI, HDMI and VGA sources, while the S-Video port captures signals from S-Video and composite sources.
Epiphan Lecture Recorder x2 integrates easily with content management systems (CMS) and learning management systems (LMS) such as Opencast, Blackboard, Kaltura, Canvas, Echo 360, Mediasite, Moodle, and more.
Stream using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and Session Announce Protocol (SAP)
- Media players, smart TVs, and set-top boxes can play live streams and saved recordings from the Lecture Recorder x2 via UPnP or SAP.
- Streaming via UPnP and/or SAP is perfect for situations when the space in a lecture theatre is limited. The lecture can be streamed to other classroom locations on campus to handle student overflow.
Video encoding with H.264, MPEG-4, and MJPEG
- Lecture Recorder x2 supports the most widely used video codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software media players such as VLC and Adobe Media Player.
- Multi-encoding provides an optimal combination of settings to ensure your stream reaches your audience.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune the operation to your application.
- Video frame rate, encoding bit rate, and key frame interval are among several parameters available to tailor the encoding to your specific requirements.
- Whether you are recording highly dynamic full motion video or slowly changing instrumentation displays Epiphan Broadcasters enable you to direct the encoder to achieve optimal video quality while satisfying bitrate and file size constraints of your specific application and environment.
Supports audio codecs MP3, AAC and PCM
- Lecture Recorder x2 supports the most widely used audio codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing and post production software.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune to meet your requirements.
Simultaneous recording and streaming
- Lecture Recorder x2 can simultaneously stream and record your content.
- Stores the video files to an internal drive with 16 GB of storage. Supports .AVI and .MOV formats (common and easy to use formats).
- Admin interface indicates the amount of free storage space.
16 GB of onboard file storage
- Stores the video files to an internal solid state memory, with 16 GB of storage, in AVI, MPEG-TS or MOV format (common and easy to use formats).
- Automatically deletes the oldest recorded file when disk space runs low and replaces the file with a current file to ensure the latest recordings are available.
- Manage the size of your recorded video files by configuring the Lecture Recorder x2 to start a new file based on a time or file-size limit. When the limit is reached, the current recorded file is closed and available for download while a new file is opened for continued recording – all without missing a frame.
Lecture Capture x2 tech specs
|Video Inputs||Connectors||(1) DVI-I / HDMI™1 / VGA1 / Component2 (1) S-Video / composite3 (NTSC/PAL)|
|Resolutions||VESA modes: 640×480 to 1920×1200; Custom resolutions|
|HD Video Format Options||R, G, B plus separate HSync and VSync signals; R, G, B plus CSYNC signal; R, G, B with Sync-on-Green synchronization; DVI single link.|
|EDID Support||EDIDs can be uploaded to the device|
|Audio Input||Connector||One ⅛” (3.5mm) stereo analog audio|
|Input Levels||Mic and line-in|
|Video Output (Splitter / Converter)||Connector||(1) DVI-I (pass-through)|
|Signals||Analog and Digital versions are always output with automatic D/A or A/D applied|
|Audio Output||Connector||(1) 3.5mm stereo audio|
|Video Encoding||Video Codec||H.264, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG|
|Video Bit Rates||10 mb/sec|
|Key Frame Intervals||Programmable|
|Color Resolution||YUV 4:2:0|
|Frame Size||Configurable up to 1920×1200|
|Frame Rates4||30 FPS @ 1920×1080p (or smaller), 25 FPS @ 1920×1200p|
|Audio Encoding||Audio Codec||Encoder||Bitrate||Sample Frequencies|
|AAC||32-192kbps||16 kHz, 22kHz, 44kHz|
|G.711||–||8kHz (a-Law) & 8kHz (μ-Law)|
|Network Interfaces||Connector||(1) 10/100 Ethernet RJ45 (PoE – spec: IEEE 802.3af class 0)|
|Streams||FLV, ASF, and MJPEG over HTTP|
|RTSP over TCP/UDP|
|RTMP and RTSP for publishing to a streaming server or CDN|
|Multicast Streams||RTP, MPEG-TS and MPEG-TS/RTP over UDP|
|Network Discovery / Announce||UPnP, SAP|
|Video/Audio Recording and File Management||Internal Storage||16 GB (solid state)|
|Unlimited storage when configured with local or network attached storage, enabling 24/7 recording.|
|Automatically removes oldest recordings from internal storage as space is required.|
|File maintenance through admin interface (Web UI)|
|Local Storage||Automatic copy to local USB drives via the (2) USB 2.0 ports|
|Network Storage||FTP server and FTP client capabilities (automatic and manual)|
|Copy to USB drive (automatic and manual)|
|Playback and Recorded Formats||Download recorded videos (AVI, MPEG-TS or MOV) using the Web UI and playback through any compatible player.|
|Administration||Web UI for administration. Includes multiple user roles (admin, operator and viewer).|
|Included API for integration into existing environments (executed via HTTP or RS-232). RS-232 API integration requires a USB to RS-232 adapter (not included).|
|Time Synchronization||NTP, TIME (RFC 868), PTP v1 (IEEE-1588-2002 V1)|
|Product Dimensions||7.95″ × 4.13″ × 1.38″ (202mm × 105mm × 35mm)|
|Product Weight||1.4 lb (635 g)|
|Country of Origin||Made in North America (Canada)|
1Using DVI-I port, with the supplied adapter or cable.
2Requires component to VGA adapter (not included).
3Using S-video port with supplied adapter.
4Frame rates may differ under certain conditions.
Easy access to external file storage
The Lecture Recorder x2 offers a variety of options for storing your recorded files:
- Store the files on the device itself, this is useful when you don’t have access to a network or an external device. You can always download the files later.
- You can transfer the recorded files to an external USB storage device or local network storage via FTP, RSYNC, or CIFS to ensure you don’t run out of disk space on your device and facilitate 24/7 recording.
- Configure automatic file transfer when a USB device is inserted.
- Integrate easily with commercial content management systems.
- Lecture Recorder x2 supports a wide range of streaming formats and protocols enabling it to stream video to media players, Content Delivery Networks and multicast networks using industry standard streaming formats including FLV, ASF, MJPEG and via TCP/UDP using RTSP.
- Supports Multicast Streaming via UDP using RTP, MPEG-TS RTP, MPEG-TS and publishes to streaming servers (CDNs) via RTMP and RTSP.
Supported aspect ratios and resolutions
- Supports 1080p HD video capture at 30 fps and resolutions up to 1920×1200.
- Capture computer displays and live camera signals.
- Convenient pick lists of standard resolutions in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios make configuration and switching between various video input sources quick and easy. Custom resolutions are also supported.
Automatically configures frame rate, bitrate, and aspect ratio
- The Lecture Recorder x2 analyzes your source stream and automatically uses the best possible frame size, bitrate, and aspect ratio for the output stream.
- Changes to the input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Automatic configuration is an option that can be enabled or disabled depending on your requirements.
Out of the box and ready to record
- Your Lecture Recorder x2 is configured and ready to record and stream your lecture as soon as it has power an internet connection and an input signal.
- Simply connect your camera, presentation content (on a laptop, iPad, etc.) and a microphone.
- Lecture Recorder x2 encodes video and audio as it’s captured and makes it stream-ready.
- Use the on-device button or provided Big Red Button to start and stop recording
- The rugged yet lightweight and portable design makes it an ideal device for travel. Its slim profile makes it easy to slip into a laptop bag and can be inconspicuously setup on the podium within reach of the lecturer.
- The Lecture Recorder x2 integrates video capturing, scaling, encoding, recording, and streaming, into one simple device.
- Power over Ethernet (PoE) eliminates the need for AC power connection; the device is powered directly over the Ethernet cable from a PoE capable network switch. A PoE injector is included with the product if you need it.
- Roughly the size of a paperback novel, measuring 7.95″×4.13″×1.38″, (202×105×35 mm), weighing 1.4 lbs., (635 g).
- With no internal fans, or other moving parts, it is silent and reliable.
- A web-based control interface provides local or remote configuration and operation of the recorder.
- Once configured, recording may be stopped and started using a mouse or our Big Red Button.
- Integration with other systems is available via our HTTP and RS-232 APIs.
- Connect your laptop directly to the recorder to enable local operation or place the recorder on a network to manage your operation from any web browser or tablet using a custom interface designed for touch screen devices.
- Perform basic operations like starting and stopping recordings, checking video signals, audio levels and disk space from the mobile interface.
- Our Big Red Button provides simple start/stop control for recording and visual confirmation whether recording is in progress.
The EpiphanConnect mobile application is available for both Android and iOS devices. This alternative to the desktop based discovery utility makes connecting to the touch screen friendly interface even easier by finding all Epiphan devices on the network.
Today’s college and university education experience is an interactive process that reaches beyond the organization’s walls with e-learning. At the heart of these remote training capabilities are high quality video capture systems that integrate with existing infrastructure and learning management systems (LMS). Epiphan offers hardware solutions for cutting-edge remote education systems that perform lecture capture, streaming and recording.