View by Product
How to Capture Streaming Video to your PC
This article explains how to capture streaming video to your PC and record it using DVI2USB – a frame grabber solution specially designed for capturing signal from the DVI source. Standalone frame grabbers are an alternative to streaming capture cards. These solutions providing live capture are connected directly to the PC and do not require additional power supply. In this example the Solo version of DVI2USB frame grabber is used.
Capture Hardware Required
You will need the following hardware before you start:
PC for Capturing DVI output
A PC records streaming video content, monitors and directs the recording process via Web interface.
A source of DVI signal that will be recorded using DVI2USB.
A DVI cable connects a DVI output to DVI2USB.
DVI2USB will capture video signal and record it to the computer.
USB to Mini USB Cable
A USB cable plugs into the mini USB port of DVI2USB and connects it to the USB computer port.
Steps below explain in details how to capture streaming video.
Step 1: Download DVI2USB application and drivers
Download DVI2USB application and drivers from the Epiphan Systems’ web site.
1. Browse to the main product page and select the DVI2USB product page.
2. Select the “Download” menu item.
3. Depending on the OS type installed on your PC click the appropriate command.
4. In the “File Download” window click “Open”.
5. Select a folder to save an application. The archive’s name (vga2usb-...) should not confuse you as this Epiphan software is suitable both for DVI and VGA frame grabbers.
6. Click “Save”.
7. Click “Open Folder”.
8. Click “Next”. Then select destination where the archive is extracted to and click “Next”. The files are extracted from the archive.
9. When the extraction is complete, click “Finish”. The folder with the extracted files is displayed.
10. Double-click the setup file in the folder.
11. Now you are ready to start the installer. Click “Next”.
12. Browse to the folder with the downloaded files and click “Next”. Confirm and start the installation.
13. Click “Continue Anyway”. The installation is complete.
Step 2: Connect and switch on hardware
Now you need to connect all necessary hardware using cables from the package.
1. Use the DVI cable to connect DVI2USB to the DVI source.
2. Connect the USB cable to DVI2USB. Then connect it to the computer.
3. Switch on both the computer and the DVI source. Your PC will detect the new equipment.
4. Start the New Hardware Wizard. The software is installed automatically.
Step 3: Streaming video capture
1. Click on Start > All Programs > VGA2USB. The frame grabber application starts.
2. Select “Options” from the “Tools” menu in the frame grabber application. Select the “Recording” tab.
3. Now specify that you capture video signal: set “Record as” to “Video” and click the “Select Codec…” button. Epiphan recommends using ffvfw MPEG-4 Codec for signal capture.
4. Now start streaming video on your DVI source using the program’s interface.
5. Click the “Record” button.
6. Select the location for the recorded video file on your PC and click “Save”. The signal capture will not start unless you click “Save”.
7. To stop recording, click the “Record” button again.
As you have accurately performed all steps described above, you know now how to capture video to your PC. The file containing streaming video from your DVI source is recorded to a specified location on the computer.