This product is discontinued.
You can still have all of your favorite Networked VGA Grid features and capabilities with Epiphan’s powerful next-generation live production switcher—Pearl-2!
Reliable, simple live streaming with Pearl-2’s integrated live video production workflow. Manage your streaming, recording and live switching in one place with this all-in-one video encoder and video production system.
Capture, record and stream audio & video over a network
Capture HD video, SD video and audio simultaneously
Connect the HD Encoder and your Concentrator to the network
Synchronizes inputs from up to 64 HD Encoders
Record and live stream simultaneously
Create layouts with branding for your streams
• 6 TB internal drive
Configurable up to 24 TB or 12 TB raid
• USB external drives or flash drives
• Network storage via SFTP, SCP, FTP,
RYSNC or CIFS
• Content Management System (CMS)
Networked VGA Grid
The Networked VGA Grid combines inputs from up to 64 network-based VGA Grid HD Encoders™ with a single VGA Grid Concentrator™ to synchronize, capture, record and stream audio and video from a wide range of sources. This high-powered, scalable live mixing solution captures high definition sources (resolutions up to 1920×1200) from devices located anywhere on the same Ethernet/IP network. Record and stream the inputs individually and add specific sources to custom multi-source layouts with custom backgrounds, logos, and time-stamping.
VGA Grid Concentrator
This 4U chassis live switching system synchronizes, records, and streams data captured and encoded by a maximum of 64 networked VGA Grid HD Encoders. Configure HD Encoders from the Concentrator interface and use its internal network time protocol (NTP) server to ensure all HD Encoders are properly synchronized.
VGA Grid HD encoders are small, silent, audio/video encoders that capture and encode video from DVI/VGA/HDMI and S-Video and 3.5 mm audio from locally-attached sources. The data is transferred over the network to the VGA Grid Concentrator for recording, streaming, and re-encoding in multi-source layouts.
Features at a glance
- Capture at HD resolutions (1920×1200) with VGA/DVI/HDMI™ and SD resolutions with S-Video
- Up to 64 HD and 64 SD sources and up to 64 analog 3.5 mm stereo audio
- Capture displays and cameras from anywhere with access to your IP network
- Supports VGA/DVI/HDMI and S-Video display sources
- Stream up to 64 1080p channels at 30 fps
- Synchronize and time-stamp streams
- Manage the 4U Grid Concentrator and VGA Grid HD Encoders centrally from a web interface
- Control and operate locally or remotely from anywhere on the same network
- VGA Grid HD encoders have built-in audio and HD video splitters
- Support for simultaneous streaming clients or publishing to CDNs
- Create custom multi-source layouts with branding, crop your sources and switch layouts while live streaming/recording
- Simplified troubleshooting of remote sources via the web interface
Live video mixer
Sources can be displayed in custom multi-source layouts and switched while live streaming/recording to create dynamic and engaging live streams that will captivate your audience.
- Use the custom layout designer to create unique personalized layouts using multiple video sources, pictures, logos, text overlays and backgrounds.
- Switch video sources and custom layouts seamlessly while live streaming/recording.
- Choose to display the video from one or multiple video sources; you can choose the size and placement of each source.
- VGA Grid automatically scales inputs to match your configured layout settings.
- Add a customized background with your company logo, the date, time, and any other information you want to add to multi-source layouts.
- Overlay video with timestamp information and other text.
- Upload a custom image to display when in a channel when the source does not have a signal or if your input signal is interrupted for any reason.
- You can choose to simultaneously stream your video content to diverse viewers with customized layouts and delivery methods to suit each viewer.
Video/audio outputs and network/control ports
- VGA Grid has an RJ-45 Ethernet port, three USB 2.0 ports, and one RS-232 port.
- Each HD Encoder has an RJ-45 Ethernet port, a 3.5mm audio output port, and a DVI-I output port.
Video and audio inputs
- Connect up to 64 HD Encoders (each with HD, SD and audio sources) via the IP network.
- No direct audio or video inputs are available on the Concentrator.
- Supports a wide range of streaming formats and protocols enabling it to stream video to media players, Content Delivery Networks and multicast networks using industry standard streaming formats including (HTTP, FLV, ASF, MJPEG) and via TCP/UDP using RTSP and HLS.
- Supports multicast streaming via UDP using RTP, MPEG-TS RTP, MPEG-TS and publishes to streaming servers (CDNs) via RTMP and RTSP.
- Multi-encoding functionality can eliminate the need for a transcoding service.
VGA Grid’s powerful processor lets you stream to a large local audience (located within the same network) without the use of a streaming server.
Stream using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and Session Announce Protocol (SAP)
- Media players, smart TVs, set-top-boxes, digital signs etc. can play live streams and saved recordings from the VGA Grid via UPnP or SAP.
- Streaming via UPnP and/or SAP is perfect for situations when the destination device is unattended. For example, when VGA Grid streams to a digital sign that continuously plays a video, if there is an interruption, the live stream resume feature automatically resumes the stream.
- VGA Grid’s powerful processor lets you stream to many set top boxes/smart TV’s simultaneously without sacrificing video quality.
Video encoding with H.264, MPEG-4 and MJPEG
- VGA Grid supports the most widely used video codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software media players such as VLC and Adobe Media Player.
- Multi-encoding features such as video frame rate, encoding bit rate, and key frame internal are among several parameters to ensure your stream reaches your audience.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune the operation to your application.
- Whether you are recording highly dynamic full motion video or slowly changing instrumentation displays, VGA Grid enables you to direct the encoder to achieve optimal video quality while satisfying bitrate and file size constraints of your specific application and environment.
Supports audio codecs MP3, AAC and PCM
- VGA Grid supports the most widely used audio codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune to meet your requirements.
- Encode in stereo or mono with bitrates up to 192 kbps.
Record while streaming
- VGA Grid is capable of recording the streaming output.
- Store the video files to a hard drive, with 6 TB of storage, in AVI, MP4, MPEG-TS or MOV format (common and easy to use formats).
- Admin interface indicates the amount of free storage space.
- Manage the size of your recorded video files by configuring the VGA Grid to start a new file based on a time or file-size limit. When the limit is reached, the current recorded file is closed and available for download while a new file is opened for continued recording – all without missing a frame.
Easy access to external file storage
The VGA Grid offers a variety of options for storing your recorded files:
- Access files quickly at Gigabit Ethernet speeds.
- Store the files on the device itself, this is useful when you don’t have access to a network or an external device. You can always download the files later.
- Transfer the recorded files to an external USB storage device or local network storage via SFTP, SCP, FTP, RSYNC or CIFS to ensure you don’t run out of disk space on your device and facilitate 24/7 recording.
- Configure automatic file transfer when a USB device is inserted.
- Integrate easily with commercial content management systems.
We can be easily integrated with content management systems (CMS) and with learning management systems (LMS) such as Blackboard, Kaltura, Mediasite and Moodle.
Supported aspect ratios and resolutions
- The input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Supports 1080p HD video capture at 30 fps and resolutions up to 2048×2048.
- Capture computer displays and live camera signals.
- Convenient pick lists of standard resolutions in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios make configuration and switching between various video input sources quick and easy. Custom resolutions are also supported.
Automatically configures frame rate, bitrate, and aspect ratio
- The VGA Grid analyzes your source stream and automatically uses the best possible frame size, bitrate, and aspect ratio for the output stream.
- Changes to the input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Automatic configuration is an option that can be enabled or disabled depending on your requirements.
File redundancy and fault tolerance
- Networked VGA Grid can be optionally configured with storage in a RAID array.
- A networked VGA Grid supports RAID 10, when 4 disks are configured.
- It easily fits into any standard rackmount cabinet.
- AC power equipped that can easily be fed through the equipment rack
- A web-based control interface enables local and remote configuration and operation.
- Integration with other systems is available via our HTTP and RS-232 APIs.
- Monitor your VGA Grid on the go with a mobile device or tablet using a custom interface designed for touch screen devices.
- Preform basic operations like checking video signals, audio levels, starting and stopping recordings, and disk space from the mobile interface.
The EpiphanConnect mobile application is available for both Android and iOS devices. This alternative to the desktop based discovery utility makes connecting to the touch screen friendly interface even easier by finding all Epiphan devices on the network.