Trouble on Ubuntu: Cannot get framegrabber from capture software

I was using DVI2USB 3.0 on a Ubuntu host for a while and I had been able to capture images using the device.

About 2 months ago, I found that the capturing software was not working anymore. I examined the software today to trying to get it working again, but I failed.

The ubuntu host is a dell alienware notebook.
The release ID of the ubuntu os is “16.06.6 LTS”.
“uname -a” returns
" Linux myhostname 4.15.0-101-generic #102~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 11 11:38:16 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
As I suggested, I had been able to run v2u on this host. Now, I cannot run it.

On the Ubuntu host,
“lsusb” command returns “Ephiphan Systems Inc.” string.
I can see the device file “/dev/vga2usb0” when the device is connected to the USB port.
The LED indicator of the device is blue and blinking when the device is connected to the USB port.
In the SDK sample software like v2u, call to “FrmGrabLocal_Open()” fails. Thus, it seems that the software cannot find the device.
I tested the software with and without sudo.
I re-installed Ubuntu drivers from
https://ssl.epiphan.com/downloads/linux/?dir=Ubuntu/16.04/USB”,
but no changes found.

I tested the device on other Windows 10 host. Then, the device is working correctly.

What should I do next?

A solid blue LED is good here, means the drivers should be working at least. Have you tried any other software to see if that works? For example VLC media player should work well here.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I installed VLC media player and “open capture device”.
Then, /dev/video1 was found to be the DVI2USB3.0. It displays correctly.

/dev/vga2usb0 did not appear on the device selection of VLC media player.

Maybe the device driver (/dev/video1) is working correctly as you say but I am not sure about (/dev/vga2usb0).

v2u from the SDK returns as follows.

v2u: no frame grabbers found
Total allocations: 3
Peak allocations: 3 blocks
124 bytes
Currently allocated: 0 blocks
0 bytes

I downloaded epiphan_sdk-3.30.3.0007 several times and just ran make and v2u, but it keeps failing.

Can we get further information on this?

Unfortunately I cannot help with the SDK. But if the video capture is working properly within VLC then the device and drivers are certainly working properly. To report an issue with the SDK you can email info@epiphan.com and this can be assigned to the development and QA teams for them to look into as this would be beyond the scope of regular support