Problem with Epiphan | Taking only video, no sound

Hi community,
Recently i am facing an issue with all my epiphan DVI2USB3.0 devices. I own 4 pieces for professional use.
How problem came to my attention?
During my preparation for an event with online video streaming i noticed that wirecast / obs / any other program / didnt recognize the sound from epiphan device. Only image / video, no sound. It seems that video + sound together cause a problem.

What i used and tested:
I used Wirecast by Telestream to make online video streaming.
I have already installed 3.31.3.9 64 bit , 3.32.0.0007 64 bit software and drivers and I tried many different cables and cameras, laptops unfortunately with no luck.
I think that problem is something related to software (drivers, codecs etc). I tried many setups without any good result.
The only i managed is finally to take sound on Epiphan Capture tool but with extremely bad quality and delay.
I mention that long time ago i didnt have any problem like this.
Any ideas what I could do to fix the problem? I think and there I am more oriented, that it is a problem / bug of Epiphan’s drivers on Windows10.

Screenshot.

Thanks in advance and best wishes
Grou

Sorry to see you’re running into an issue with your DVI2USB 3.0. There are a number of factors that would need to be considered and explored in order to try and resolve the problem you’re facing
DVI2USB 3.0 is designed to be utilized in a single application at a time. Your screenshot appears to show both Wirecast and Capture Tool being used simultaneously. This could certainly cause a conflict.
Bad audio within the capture tool could be caused by the attempt to use two applications simultaneously, but could also be an issue or problem with the video/audio source as well.
While it is possible there could be a driver-related compatibility issue, we have not had any other reports of this type of issue. I would recommend reaching out to us at info@epiphan.com with this issue, the serial number of your device and the troubleshooting steps you have already taken, for further support troubleshooting.

Thank you for your reply, i appreciate it.
Unfortunately problem exists in any case, use by one or more programs simultaneously or not. However thank you for the useful info.
I tried at least 4 different laptops to investigate the issue. No luck
Maybe for me get in touch with you through support at info@epiphan.com is one way

I am having the same issue with Zoom. When I select DVI2USB3 as the audio and video source, my video source goes blue. If I select another audio source in Zoom the video comes back.

I am also seeing my video input appear for a second and going back to blue screen every minute or so.

I also notice when I get the blue screen the activity light slowly flickers green 3 times and flickers quickly purple 3 times.

When I change audio sources the video comes back and I get a solid green light on the device.

I have the same issues with OBS and DVI2USB lately. I do use a USB 3.0 port, because lower will only transfer video and no audio. I hope there is a workable solution for this.

Earlier on this combination did work. I tried different solutions now, with audio embedded directly from the source, or embedded from an analog source in a video switcher (Analog Way Saphyr) both give the same issues as cloudcast describes.

I am seeing this same issue, purple flashing for 3-4 seconds and then green, resulting in many frames being dropped. Nothing in my environment has changed. I’ve ruled out hardware (works on another setup). Reinstalled drivers/application and the issue persists. Can windows anniversary update impact this?

I’m sorry you’re having this issue! Just to clarify you’re unable to capture sound via the Epiphan Capture Tool when using your DVI2USB 3.0? Are you on a desktop or laptop PC? There can be issues on a laptop if it’s not plugged in. As well there can be issues transferring audio if it’s using a USB 2.0 connection, or is unable to fully utilize the USB 3.0 connection.

You said it works in another setup, so the DVI2USB 3.0 is likely not the cause of the problem here, what other troubleshooting steps have you tried? Have you updated the chipset drivers on your machine? Performed any BIOS updates? You asked about the Windows Anniversary update, have there been any other changes that you can think of? Have you added any other USB devices that might be sharing the same USB bus as the DVI2USB? Have you attempted a fresh installation of Windows?

Sorry for all the questions, there are a lot of things to consider once the device itself is ruled out. Hopefully one of these will get us closer to figuring out the problem!

Hi there,
i have a somewhat similar problem.

I have been using a DVI2USB3.0 to capture footage for a few years, on the same computer, using several games consoles as sources, without a problem.

A few days ago i started to get a weird behaviour.
With only the Epiphan Capture software open, if the sound capture is turned on, the image freezes and the card cycles from green to blue and back, and you might hear a bit of distorted sound. If i stop the sound capture, the image resumes normally.

The card is connected to a usb 3.0 port on the back of the PC, on one end, and to a Playstation 4 PRO directly on the other, with HDCP off.

I never had problems, untill now.

I have tried:

• Different video sources
  • Removing and deleting the drivers, and re-installing them.
  • Re-installing the capture software.
  • Different usb and hdmi cables
  • Connecting to other usb 3.0 ports on the PC

Nothing worked.
This is starting to seem like a hardware or firmware problem.

Im completely out of ideias.
Any help is very much appreciated.

Hello Mantrox,

If you send an email to info@epiphan.com we can open a ticket on this issue and try some troubleshooting options specific to your use case.

Best regards,

• Adam
1 Like

I was just told by support that there’s no fix or workaround for this device and problem. I’m flabbergasted that a $700 unit isn’t being supported correctly. The tech told me to buy the updated device because it uses windows built-in drivers instead of a device-specific one. Honestly, this is a flat-out joke.

We have received reports from some users that their DVI2USB 3.0 is not able to capture audio and video simultaneously. Unfortunately, we are still in the information gathering phase of this problem, as we are not able to reliably reproduce the issue on our systems. This is why there is currently no fix or workaround, work is still being done to determine what is even causing the problem. In some cases updating to the latest version of Windows has resolved the issue, in others it has not.

As for the AV.io series of devices, they utilize the UVC drivers built into Windows and other operating systems, so they are less likely to encounter issues when the operating system is updated. The signature series devices use drivers written for that device that must be installed on the PC, any changes to the operating system could result in inconsistencies in performance, as we are seeing here. The AV.io cards are not updated versions of the signature series, rather the two are very different devices with different goals and use cases.

The AV.io are a great choice when one simply needs to capture a standard resolution device, and cannot install special software or drivers onto the host device. They work like a webcam and programs like Zoom can use them as such without issue. The signature series cards, like the DVI2USB 3.0, are a better choice when dealing with non-standard devices and resolutions, or when a particular project requires a higher degree of customization. They are designed to be used with the Epiphan Capture Tool and use in other programs is not necessarily guaranteed.

I can see that you’re frustrated with the situation, and I am sorry if it felt like we were trying to sell you one device rather than fix a problem with the original one. Since you do have a system that is currently affected by this issue if you’d like to help us resolve it please send in a ticket to info@epiphan.com so we can continue compiling information. Thank you for the feedback and your patience!

Having a similar problem, but only under Windows 10, in Windows 7, the device captures normally via both video and audio.
This means this is a Windows 10 specific problem, so epiphan needs to update their drivers to have better compatibility with Windows 10, or drop support for the device entirely. Considering they’ve already dropped support for Linux and MacOSX, that’s probably what they’ll do. You’re out of luck if you bought one of these recently.

I have the same issue as @Mantrox with my DVI2USB3.0. It will record one or the other video or audio, but not both. This happens on Windows 10. Are there any plans to fix this in a driver update or should i just return it and buy a different product?

Edit: My capture source is outputting hdmi at 480p with audio, into a DVI-D dual link to hdmi adapter. In theory DVI-D dual link should be all i need, but I ordered a DVI-I dual link adapter to try in case the capture card needs the extra 4 pins for whatever method it’s using to pull audio from the signal

Edit 2: using an hdmi signal to a DVI-I dual link adapter to the capture card gets no signal.

Hello all,

Please note - we have released the final driver for the DVI2USB3.0 which allows it to operate in Windows 10 and 11 with the ability to capture embedded HDMI audio.

You can find the driver here:
https://updates.epiphan.com/downloads/Drivers/Windows/epiphan-pcie-usb-driver-3.32.4.2.zip

Thank you,