Multi-encoding and channel as a source
Pearl lets you easily do multi-encoding so you can record and stream the same content at different encoding settings. This is useful when you want to:
- Record a video at a high bitrate and frame size and live stream the same content at lower encoding settings.
- Record the channel while also sending two (or more) streams of that channel using different encoding settings for CDNs that don't use adaptive bitrates.
- Or record the same channel simultaneously at different resolutions, like full HD and HD.
For example, take a scenario where you want to record a video at 1080p and 8 Mbps, while simultaneously live stream the same video online 720p and 1 Mbps. You can create your custom layouts and do all your switching in one channel (i.e. Channel 1) and then configure Channel 2 to use Channel 1 as a source. That way, both channel's have the identical program. All you need to do now is configure each channel for the encoding settings you want.
Follow these steps:
- Login to the Admin panel as admin, see Connect to Admin panel.
- Create Channel 1 with your video and audio inputs. Add all your live switching layouts.
- Set the encoding and streaming settings for channel 1.
- Create Channel 2 for your recording with just one layout and add Channel 1 as the video source. Stretch it to fill the full screen.
- For Channel 2's audio source, choose Channel 1 if not already selected by default.
- Set encoding and streaming settings for channel 2.
Using this process, you can again use the same video you’re recording on Channel 2, and stream it at a different bitrate and frame size.
For alternative ways to set up multi-publishing, see Stream