MP4 Fragmented editing tips?

We recently switched recording from mp4 to mp4-fragmented - because we had a corrupt video and Epiphan support advised we started to use mp4-fragmented. We have three Pearl units.

The team are struggling to use these files, and we end up re-coding them for Camtasia, mp4-splitter, etc.

I’m tempted to return to normal mp4 because the usual editing tools fail to import mp4-fragmented.

Any tips on using mp4-fragmented videos?

Guy

You are running into an unfortunate issue with certain filetypes and non-linear editors. The editors are designed to work with the output of video cameras typically, with limited support for files created elsewhere. This is why we include the MP4 progressive (non-fragmented) format. This works very well with non-linear editors.

But then you run into container filetype issues with MP4 progressive in that it basically has no ability to handle a power loss or interruption of any kind. This is where we would recommend any other filetype, with MPEG-TS or AVI being the best at handling an interruption. But then these files aren’t supported well by non-linear editors requiring transcoding in many cases as you mention.

One option you may want to consider is recording in MP4 progressive for compatibility with editors, but then recording in a more robust filetype simultaneously (personally I would recommend MPEG-TS). You could do this by having the channel set to MP4 progressive, then also set up a Recorder to record the same channel, but in another container filetype. This way the CPU load doesn’t increase much as it is the same encoding being saved to two container filetypes.

We’ve moved to AVI and come across a problem with the files the Pearl creates.
Techsmith Camtasia refuses to import the AVI files directly. But if we clip them using MP4 Splitter (with no recoding - just splitting) the AVI file can be read. I’ve asked Techsmith to look at the files and the Pearl video is encoded ‘in a weird way’
I think this is just a header thing as MP4 Splitter does no re-coding. I can supply the two videos privately if that helps?
It would be good for the Epiphan to create videos that Camtasia could open as it’s a pretty popular video editor in UX Research.

Kind regards
Guy

The development team is aware of the compatibility issues with our AVI files and editors like Camtasia. If I recall correctly this is due to slightly varying framerates within the AVI file that Camtasia is incompatible with. The development team is well aware of this, and we implemented improvements to the MP4 format specifically to target this compatibility.

Unfortunately in your situation you have to choose between a filetype that can handle an interruption and one that is incompatible with the editor. This is why I proposed the dual recording option in my last message.

I’ve spoken to the team about adding another Chanel. We already record two channels in our sessions to support our research methodology. Recording one more will make it too complex.
Our fix of using mp4 splitter is workable. It can process 1 gb of video in 20 seconds and camtasia will import the file afterwards. The speed at which mp4 splitter processes the video files made me think it’s doing minor changes to the file to make it work in camtasia.
The Pearls are awesome bits of kit. Really transformed the way we record and stream our research.
Guy

Joyoshare media cutter probably can but I can’t recall wether it’s true or not.
You can try their free trial and see for yourself anyway.