This quick start uses the default settings where possible so you can quickly start using your Pearl-2. The instructions apply to all Pearl-2 models; however, rackmount installation is not included here, see Rackmount installation.
For the Pearl Rackmount Twin, you cannot plug a source into one system and use it from the other.
Before you begin, make sure you have:
- A video source such as a camera or a computer and cables to connect them to Pearl-2. For HDMI, the source must not be HDCP protected.
- An audio source coming from either your SDI
, USB videoor HDMI video source (must not be encrypted). Optionally, audio from a different source, such as an audio mixer that you connect to the audio input ports can be used. For VGA sources, connect your audio source to the ¼" TRS ports.
- Local area network that uses Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is preferable.
- Computer with a web browser connected to the same network. We'll call it the “admin” computer.
Pearl-2 is pre-configured with two plug and play channels: Auto A and Auto B. Auto channels are used for this quick start. They have automatic video sensing, which detects the video signal you connect to the video input ports on Pearl-2.
The first video source you connect while Pearl-2 is powered on is automatically assigned to the Auto channel (either Auto A or Auto B, depending in which row you connect the video source). For example, when you first start Pearl-2, the video sources you connect to the HDMI-A and HDMI-B input ports appear automatically in Auto A and Auto B channels (respectively). If no video source is connected, a standard No Signal screen displays.
With auto channels, audio from the connected SDI, HDMI, or USB video source is automatically applied to the channel without needing any additional configuration. For SDI or HDMI audio, make sure it's unencrypted.
The Auto channel's frame size is set to match the video source by default and the best bit rate for the default frame rate of 30 fps is applied automatically.
For details about Auto channels defaults, behavior, and audio source priorities, see About automatic channels Auto A and Auto B.
To get started quickly with auto channels:
- Turn on your camera or video source and connect the output to one of the video input ports labeled "A" on the back panel of Pearl-2.
- (Optional) Connect a second video source to one of the video input ports labeled "B".
(Optional) For VGA sources, connect your audio source to the ¼ TRS left/right stereo pair audio input ports on the same row as your VGA source (row A or row B) on the rear panel of Pearl-2.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to Pearl-2 and to your network.
- Press the power button on the front panel to turn on the system. Wait for the power-up cycle to complete.
- Use the touch screen on Pearl-2 for confidence monitoring. To display the single Channel view, simply tap on one of the channels that you see in the Grid view. From the Channel view, you can do things like stop and start recording for the channel.
- (Optional) Plug headphones or speakers into the 3.5 mm stereo audio jack at the front of Pearl-2 to monitor the audio.
The Grid view showing both channels appears on the touch screen. The video source you connected to the "A" row appears in the Auto A channel, and the video source connected to the "B" row appears in the Auto B channel.
My network IP address and channel monitoring
You can get the network IP address of your Pearl-2 from the touch screen so that you can do things like view the channels using a web browser or access the configuration Admin panel. Just make sure that your admin computer is connected to the same network as Pearl-2.
To find the IP address using the touch screen, tap the gear icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and select System Status.
- Using a browser on the admin computer, go to one of the following URLs to preview the channel.
- (Optional) Open a new tab in your browser and enter the URL to login to the Admin panel.
For Auto A: http://<IP Address for Pearl-2>/preview.cgi?channel=1
For Auto B: http://<IP Address for Pearl-2>/preview.cgi?channel=2
http://<IP Address for Pearl-2>/admin
The default user name admin has no password set by default. If a password has been set, consult with your system administrator for the login credentials, see What is streaming?
Record the Channel
Once the channel is set up, it's simple to record the channel. You can do that using either the touch screen or the Admin panel.
To start and stop recording using the touch screen:
- From the Grid view, tap the channel you want to record. The Channel view appears.
- Tap the red dot to start recording. The record timer starts and continues for as long as the system is recording. Tap the red dot again to stop recording. If the control icons aren't visible, tap the screen once.
To control recording using the Admin panel:
- From the Channels menu in the Admin panel, click Recording for your channel. The Recording page opens.
- Click Start to start recording the channel and click Stop to stop recording.
- Refresh the page. Click Recording again in the Channels menu or reload the browser page. The page reloads and a file list appears that shows your newly recorded content.
- Click the file name to download and view your recording.
Now that you have a source setup and are ready to stream, you can fine-tune the system to your exact requirements. Take a look at topics such as:
- What is a channel?
- Live video mixing / switching
- Custom layout configuration
- What is streaming?
- Selecting an audio source
- Video output ports
- Automatic file transfers
For higher security, we recommend setting admin, operator and viewer-level passwords on Pearl-2, see Change user passwords.
When you're done setting up your Pearl-2, make sure to back up the system configuration using the procedure described in Create a configuration preset.
Register Pearl-2 to get firmware updates
Keep Pearl-2 up-to-date and get all the latest features and firmware updates. Registering your Pearl-2 is free and only needs to be done once. You can register anytime from the Firmware update page using the Admin panel, see Register your device