How to capture analog video to your PC
This article will explain how to capture analog video to your PC and record it using VGA2USB – an external USB 2 based frame grabber solution for video capture. Providing video signal capturing function, compact and standalone frame grabbers are an alternative to analog capture cards for screen video recording. The Easy-to-use VGA2USB frame grabbers is connected to the PC on-the-fly and do not require additional power supply.
Click for more info on VGA2USB This How To is for basic of capture of interlaced image quality from a VGA source.
Capture Hardware Required
You will need the following hardware for screen video recording before you start:
- PC for Capturing VGA output – A PC is used to record video content, monitor and direct the recording process via Web interface.
- VGA Source – A source of VGA signal that will be recorded using VGA2USB.
- VGA Cable – A VGA cable connects a VGA output to VGA2USB.
- VGA2USB – VGA2USB captures VGA signal and records it to the computer.
- USB to Mini USB Cable – A USB cable plugs into the mini USB port of VGA2USB and connects it to the USB computer port.
Step 1: Download VGA2USB application and drivers
Download VGA2USB application and drivers from the Epiphan Systems’ web site.
- Browse to the main product page and select the VGA2USB product page.
- Select the “Download” menu item.
- Depending on the OS type installed on your PC click the appropriate command.
- In the “File Download” window click “Open”.
- Select a folder to save an application.
- Click “Save”.
- Click “Open Folder”.
- Click “Next”. Then select destination for extracting the archive and click “Next”. The files are extracted from the archive.
- Click “Finish”. The folder with the extracted files is displayed.
- Double-click the setup file in the folder.
- Now you are ready to start the installer. Click “Next”.
- Browse to the folder where the downloaded files are installed and click “Next”.
- Confirm and start the installation.
- Click “Continue Anyway”. The installation is complete.
Step 2: Connect and switch on hardware
Now you need to connect all necessary hardware using cables from the package.
- Use the VGA cable to connect VGA2USB to the VGA source.
- Connect the USB cable to VGA2USB. Then connect it to the computer.
- Switch on both the computer and the VGA source. Your PC detects the new equipment.
- Start the New Hardware Wizard. The software is installed automatically.
Step 3: analog video capture
- Click on Start->All Programs->VGA2USB. The VGA2USB application starts.
- Select “Options” from the “Tools” menu in the VGA2USB application, then select the “Recording” tab.
- Now specify that it is video signal that you will capture: set “Record as” to “Video” and click the “Select Codec…” button. For this demonstration, Epiphan recommends using the ffvfw MPEG-4 Codec for signal capture.
- Now select the video file for capturing on your video source using the VGA2USB program interface.
- Click the “Record” button.
- Select the location for the recorded video file on your PC and click “Save”. Note that signal capture will not start unless you click “Save”.
- To stop recording, click the “Record” button again.
As you have accurately performed all steps described above, you know now how to capture analog video to your PC. The file that contains analog video from your selected VGA source is recorded to a specified location on the computer.