Wireless streaming live

This past weekend I had a Quinceanera some what simulator to a wedding. My clients wanted to stream the event live for their families in Mexico and other parts of the United States could view since they could not attend. The streaming went flawlessly for almost 5 hours straight without interruption. Here are a few images of the set up that Saturday evening.
Equipment: Dell 4K 27” monitor, Webcaster x2, j-tech Digital receiver with wireless dongle, Canon XA30, Belkin powe bank 30000 to power the dongle, and wireless keyboard.

5 Likes

What’s the box to the left of the Webcaster X2?

1 Like

That’s the hdmi J tech receiver. The wireless transmitter dongle is attached to my cam.

1 Like

I started off initially with a solid HDMI cable straight to the webcaster X2. But the problem I noticed there was a lot of distortion and a week connectivity I’m not quite sure if maybe the HDMI cable was damaged . So I decided to give the wireless transmitter and receiver a shot and it just so happens to work better than a solid HDMI connection needless to say my client was very very happy with the results .

3 Likes

That’s great Hector!

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures/setup info, Hector.

1 Like

Yes sir, your welcome!

1 Like

Interesting set-up. Is the camera wireless transmitter battery powered so you can stroll among the guests?

1 Like

Powered over USB. Sometimes the camera would have a USB port on it that can be used for this or you can use a battery bank.

I agree, great setup!

1 Like

Sorry for the delayed reply but Victor is correct, I used a portable USB power bank to power the dongle. It ran for 5 hours and didn’t even use one bar of power on the power bank. the power usage on the dongle is so minimum it blow my mind. Also this did in fact, allow me to move around BUT the unit I have will not project through walls. Equipment to put out that kind of power cost much much more, roughly $600 - $4000 depending on the level production your into. That’s just a estimate to what I have researched. Mine was around $200-$300.

1 Like

Yes, we used a Teradek Bolt (cost was $3000) recently for a production and although it went through some walls, it wasn’t perfect. We still had dropped signals if the camera got too far from the antenna.

One thing to consider with a lot of the cheaper wireless transmitters is that they introduce a latency/delay, so if you’re switching between the local USB camera source and the wireless transmitter the sync could be off. It’s not an issue if you’re not doing any switching.

2 Likes

Love the idea of a wireless battery powered connection! I’ve been looking for something just like this. Appreciate the information, Hector!

2 Likes