Lag with the KVM2USB

Hey all,
I just pickup a KVM2USB 3.0 to use as a “crash cart” when visiting customers. I’m testing it and I’m getting a huge lag, between 2 and 5 seconds. Yes, it’s that large. I tried with the shipped firmware and an update. My laptop is a Dell Precision 5520 with two USB 3.0 ports running Windows 10. My client is a workstation and I’m plugged directly into a DVI port and a USB 3.0 port. It should work, right? I get a blue light on the unit and it does work in that a signal goes across and I see the screen, but it’s far from usable.

Anyone experience this and have a solution? Many thanks.

We have seen this issue before if the USB bandwidth is overloaded or if there are other applications that are attempting to access the unit. This could cause a slow reaction or even a lack of function with the KVM2USB 3.0

Are you connecting it directly to the laptop with the provided 3ft USB 3.0 cable, or are you using any adapters, extenders, docks or anything of that nature that is not a direct connection with the included 3ft cable?

Are there any other USB devices being utilized on the laptop or sharing that USB buss?

I’m using the provided cable.
No other devices connected to the laptop.
No other applications were running.
When I get home, I’ll try again including removing some of the services that may be on it the background, but none of them should effect USB performance.

Do you have a way to profile what is trying to access the unit?

Rick

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately there is no way of profiling what applications would be trying to access the unit.

KVM2USB 3.0 is built on the same platform as AV.io HD so there haven’t been any reported issue regarding any extended latency. As a practical troubleshooting step can you please test on a different host system to see if the same latency is reproduced or if there is some improvement?

When you need longer cables, which would be better to replace to maintain quality? a longer USB 3.0 cable or longer digital video (HDMI in this case) cable and a usb2.0 extension?

Talking reasonable distances like 3-5m