How much delay between signal in to output on both You Tube anf Facebook Live

I am ready to test my broadcast from a remote location. It will be used to livestream a fishing tournament weigh-in. How much delay can i expect from my input to the actual facebook or youtube web page. How close to real time under optimal conditions? Will test with mobile hotspot with an ethernet connection ATT connection

This is going to be determined by YouTube or Facebook, as they need to process the incoming data, buffer it, transcode it, etc. This averages somewhere around 30 seconds. But this does vary.

I agree with AdamFrame. It’s been my experience that a delay of 30 seconds is typical - sometimes more, sometimes less. Since you said you would be broadcasting from a remote location, I assume you will be using a hotspot. Bandwidth and signal strength may be an issue, and you might want to test it out before you broadcast the event.

Bandwidth is a good point, as a rule of thumb if I am using a hotspot I run a few speedtests at the location, then use no more than 50% of the average upload speed of these tests as my bitrate. For example if I get an average of 6.3Mbps upload then 3Mbps bitrate would be ok.

For a more reliable connection, dsl or cable for example, then I would allow up to 75% of the upload speed as my stream bitrate. Still allowing for some overhead here, especially if I allow anyone else to be using this connection for anything other than the live stream.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest. I set up my equipment and done

my test yesterday in the boat ramp parking lot. To my surprise i had a 7.5 megabit signal. I used an att hotspot but i used the ethernet port on the box. I was able to stream at 4 megabits on youtube at 720x1280 I had to stream a 3 megabits on facebook live. The stream looked great Thanks for your help Carroll

1 Like