Get status about the connected (on/off, resolution?) device

Hi,

My goal is to setup video grabbing (for research, nothing malicious) using AV.IO HD, which gets VGA (via VGA -> DVI adapter) input after a VGA splitter, and record grabbed video into files which would correspond to periods of time when external video source was connected, and retained the same resolution.

Upon quick tries (on Linux using obs and some python+opencv2) I could not figure out if there is a way to query the device about “native” input resolution and either it is active/connected.

Thank you in advance for any hints/information.

Unfortunately there isn’t any way for you to check what the input signal is on the AV.io HD other than using our Config Tool application. There isn’t any programmatic option.

If you need to request details such as native resolution, etc. then you may instead want to consider our DVI2USB 3.0 as this works with our C/C++ SDK.

could I query with config tool while grabbing video stream? if so – it should be ok solution

could you please point me to DVI2USB 3.0 SDK/examples?

You can certainly use the config tool application while also capturing video. However I should specify that the capture tool application has a simple GUI and is not something that can be used via a command prompt.

You can find the DVI2USB 3.0’s SDK, examples, and documentation within the download here: https://www.epiphan.com/downloads/products/epiphan_sdk-3.30.3.0007.zip

1 Like

Hi, Sorry I have got distracted from this “project” of mine. Finally getting back.

Does DVI2USB 3.0 remain the device for me to target? i.e. the one which would allow to detect input being connected, and query native resolution?

I found some Python scripts in the wild which target some video grabbing from DVI2USB, but I wondered if you guys might have already precooked examples in Python by any chance to ease me accomplishing the mission? :wink:

Thank you in advance!

DVI2USB 3.0 is indeed the choice if you need to request incoming resolution and such. Unfortunately though we don’t have any examples in Python.

Thank you!
Next question is “what about audio?”

From the user guide it seems that audio capture is possible not at the DVI2USB hardware level but only in software and only on Windows; but also the webpage and user guide have confusing to me statements such as

DVI2USB 3.0 captures video and audio from any single link DVI, unencrypted HDMI, or VGA source.

but there is no audio over VGA (or is there?). It seems it might be possible to transmit audio over DVI, but is there an adapter for (VGA + audio) -> DVI-I I could use?

Or I am doomed to implement (on Linux) independent capture of video from DVI2USB and audio capture from another independent device?

Thank you in advance for the clarification

The DVI2USB 3.0 can certainly capture audio! Though this would just be the embedded audio within an HDMI signal.

If this is a DVI or VGA signal then you wouldn’t have audio options there and would need to capture this externally, or potentially use an external converter that can convert the DVI/VGA signal + analog audio into an HDMI signal for the DVI2USB 3.0 to capture all at once.